Thursday, October 15, 2009

Influences that shape our culture

Sociology class has really made me realize how the enviornment in which we live in shapes our culture. We recently did an experiment in which we had to do absolutely nothing. In our society it is normal to sit in a chair, not use your hands while eating, socialize with others, to think about things, and to basically always be occupied doing something. In class we looked at several examples of people who would be considered "strange" or "weird" to us. For example, the man who took away all of his money and is living on absolutely nothing but the things that are in nature. To me, this is so weird because I don't understand how someone could really live off eating berries and nothing but it could be because in my culture I am used to the fact of all of my friends and I having most things, but never nothing. Another example we looked at was of the girl that was locked up for 12 years. If I saw her walking down the street, I would obviously think she is a lot different than I am but it's weird to me because I really don't know her at all but she had no influence from her parents on how to live life in a normal society. My parents influence a lot of my decisions a lot and they have taught me what direction and "norms" of the society I have grown up by.

5 comments:

  1. i also agree that the man living in the wild is very weird. Im sure he could lead a happy life with a few more possessions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so odd that the guy lives happy in the wild. It is such a different lifestyle than the way we live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, we think certain people are weird because they are different. We may seem weird to them. In reality neither of us is "weird" but just different because we all come from different societies, which shape who we are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's almost like we need an attachment to something to feel normal.

    ReplyDelete