Thursday, October 22, 2009

Agents of Socialization

In class we have been talking about the aspects that help shape us into the people we are today: Family, Work, Religion, School, Peer Groups, Media, Day Care, and Neighborhoods. I never realized how much so many of these factors can affect one person. The main factors that have had the biggest influences on me are: family, work, and religion.

Family: My family is the main aspect that has shaped me into the person that I am today. I have learned that from just being around your family it helps shape your personality and eventually molds you into the person you are today. Many of your personality traits and decisions come from the influences of your family.

Work- Now that I have become older, work is a place to bond with people who share the same interests as you do. I work at the JCYS and in the Little Patriots Room. I have been working at the JCYS for two years and I am very close with everyone that works there (eventhough half the people who work there are all my friends). When I am working with them, it doesn't even feel like I am at work because I enjoy being around them so much. However, in the Little Patriots room the vibe is completely different. All of the "after school staff" that works there have all started working there this year so we all share that bond. I work with two people on the days that I work. One of which I get along with very well and the other girl neither of us talk to. Although I really enjoy both of my jobs, the bond and work environment at the JCYS is a lot different but it better suits me.

Religon: This plays a big factor into my life. I have always grown up being Catholic and I plan to stay that way for the rest of my life. Eventhough my dad is the only one that is Catholic in my family, he has taught me and raised me by this religion and I can't imagine myself being any other religion or have any different beliefs.

---Although there are many agents to socilization, these are the few that have influenced me the most. This week has taught me to be open-minded of my surroundings and not to be isolated into what I believe is to be "normal" because what may be "normal" to me may not be to someone else so you can learn from your surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment