Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Materialistic Society

The article titled "affluenza" really made me start thinking about the American culture and just exactly how materialistic everyone is. In America there are certain times in the year where people's minds are "programmed" that is a day to spend money. For example, Black Friday. The article compared spending money to the flu. Shopping and spending money has become such an addiction that people become so absorbed to putting their hands out for gifts. Most people expect gifts for the holidays and for their birthdays but generally people do not really appreciate these gifts as much at the time because they are simply expecting them to be there or to receive them. I can relate to this because when I am usually with my friends we end up spending money on clothes, movies, food, or other un-necessary items. This article made me realize exactly how materialistic our society has become. Our lives no longer revolve around spending time with friends on your birthday but simply spending time with friends on your birthday to receive gifts because after all, you are expecting those birthday presents. I think that if everyone in society was a little more appreciative for what we/they have, our society would become a better place and it wouldn't revolve around such materialistic things.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that we should spend less time highlighting the importance of spending and materialism and more time on appreciating what we already have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good point. I took the same main points away from this article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree as well. It's a shame our society has become to mainly cherish the material goods rather than just the company of others. It's weird to think how far might this take us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree. America is to focused on material possessions and spending money.

    ReplyDelete